The Indian Gooseberry or Amla contains high vitamin-C content. Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and, acts as an antioxidant.
The Indian Gooseberry belongs to the Euphorbiaceae family. This fruit ripens in the autumn in wet, forested, hilly areas on the Indian subcontinent. In India, it is considered as a sacred tree. The fruit is very nourishing, but it tastes sour. Both, dried and fresh fruits can be consumed for their health benefits.
It provides remedies for a lot of diseases and so it is widely used in Ayurvedic treatment. Gooseberry is very rich in Vitamin C and contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex. Amla is also a powerful antioxidant agent.
Many health problems are caused by oxidative damage (when body cells use oxygen, they produce by-products called free radicals that can cause damage). Antioxidant agents prevent and repair these damages. Vitamin-C is a good antioxidant agent, which makes gooseberries a powerful tool against a variety of conditions, including various types of cancer.
Health Benefits Of Amla
The health benefits of amla include the following:
1. Hair care: Amla is used in many hair tonics because it enriches hair growth and hair pigmentation. It strengthens the roots of hair, maintains color, and improves luster. Eating fresh gooseberry or applying its paste on hair roots improves hair growth and color. Amla oil is very popular in India because it has been shown to reduce the chances of hair loss and baldness. This quality is due to the carotene content of Amla, as well as its iron content and general antioxidant capacity, which reduces hair loss by not allowing free radicals to damage hair follicles or impact the hormones that can cause premature hair loss.
2. Eye Care: Drinking Gooseberry juice with honey is good for improving eyesight, and studies have shown it to improve nearsightedness and cataracts while reducing intra-ocular tension. This is mainly due to its impressive content of carotene, which have long been known for their powerful effect on vision-related conditions, including those that stem from free radical activity. Vitamin A and carotenes reduce macular degeneration, night blindness, and strengthen your vision before the age-related degeneration from free radicals can occur.
3. Calcium Absorption: One of the less discussed benefits of Amla is how it helps the body absorb calcium in a positive way. Calcium is an essential component of our bones, teeth, and nails, and also ensures that we have beautiful lustrous hair. So, eating a vitamin C-rich fruit like Indian gooseberries is a great way to keep your body looking and feeling great.
4. Metabolic Activity: Eating foods that are high in protein is one of the most important ways to stay healthy since proteins are an essential part of our body’s metabolic activities. Our enzymes can breakdown plant proteins into amino acids and reassemble them into usable proteins for our body. Protein is necessary for cellular growth, muscle development, organ health, and a wide range of other metabolic activities that we need to remain healthy and happy.
5. Menstrual Cramps: Some of the minerals and vitamins in Amla combine to make it very useful in the treatment of menstrual cramps. Since it takes a while for the necessary elements to accrue in the body, it is better to consume Amla on a regular basis so its nutrients are always in the system and menstrual cramps can be prevented every month by women.
6. Diabetes: Gooseberry contains chromium, which has a therapeutic value for diabetic patients. Indian Gooseberry stimulates the isolated group of cells that secrete the hormone insulin, thereby reducing blood sugar in diabetic patients and keeping their body balanced and healthy. When blood sugar is reduced, it means that glucose is also being used by the cells as functional energy, so the metabolism is stronger and you have more energy, without the plunges and spikes in blood sugar that are so dangerous for diabetic patients. Chromium also enhances the effect of beta-blockers, which are used for heart health, by reducing the LDL cholesterol content of the body.
7. Diuretic Activity: Besides being a fruit that is very high in water, Amla is also slightly diuretic in nature. This means that it increases the frequency and volume of urination. Urination helps our body eliminate unwanted toxins and excess levels of water, salts, and uric acid. Furthermore, it can help you lose weight since up to 4% of urine is actually composed of fat. Therefore, a diuretic substance is always necessary for keeping our kidneys healthy and also preventing urinary infections and uterine infections. Amla is a great way to do this.
8. Digestion: Amla is very high in fiber, like most fruits. Fiber adds bulk to the stool and helps food move through the bowels and keeps your bowel movements regular. This reduces the chances of constipation, and fiber can also bulk up loose stools and reduce diarrhea. Fiber also stimulates the secretion of gastric and digestive juices, so food is digested efficiently, nutrients are absorbed in an optimal way, and you feel lighter and healthier.
9. Reducing constipation can also help protect you from various gastrointestinal disorders, even colorectal cancer.
10. Heart Disease: As mentioned above, gooseberry strengthens the heart muscles, so the heart pumps blood smoothly throughout the body. By reducing excess cholesterol buildup, the chromium can reduce the chances of atherosclerosis or plaque buildup in the vessels and arteries. This can reduce the chances of strokes and heart attacks. The iron content promotes the creation of new red blood cells, increasing circulation and the oxygenation of organs and cells to maximize growth and regeneration of tissue while keeping the blood vessels and arteries clean.
11. Infection: Due to its antibacterial and astringent attributes, Indian Gooseberries protect the body against infection and improves the body’s immune response. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, which is famous for its impressive antioxidant abilities and its stimulation of the immune system. It increases the white blood cell count in the body, which is the main line of defense for the immune system, since white blood cells attack and eliminate foreign toxins and substances in the bloodstream and throughout the body.
12. Diarrhea and Dysentery: Due to its strong cooling and laxative properties, Gooseberry is a useful component in remedies for diarrhea and dysentery. It provides great relief for gastric syndrome and hyperchlorhydria (burning sensation in the abdomen). As a laxative, it helps flush out any toxins or harmful substances you may have eaten that are causing you discomfort or illness, thereby eliminating it from your system so the healing process can begin, and also cooling the burning sensation and discomfort often felt when diarrhea occurs.
13. Improving Appetite: Consuming Gooseberry powder with butter and honey before a meal improves appetite. It also helps to balance nitrogen levels, thereby increasing weight in a healthy way.
14. Anti-Aging: Amla prevents health-related hyperlipidaemia by reducing the amount of free radicals in the body through its antioxidant qualities. Free radicals are associated with signs of aging like wrinkles and age spots.
The fresh fruit of gooseberries contains more than 80% water, protein, minerals, carbohydrates, and fiber. It is also used as a remedy for fever, liver disorder, indigestion, anemia, urinary problems, respiratory problems, cerebral, gastric and cardiovascular illness. Gooseberry lowers cholesterol levels, increases red blood cell production, and strengthens teeth and nails.
In other words, consume Indian Gooseberry (Amla) as a fresh fruit, juice, or in dried form to see a big improvement in your health.