Expectant mothers in their first trimester must not use any sort of cosmetics, cleaning agents and medicines to protect the fetal brain development from chemicals that can trigger autism and health of the baby. Stay away from make-up products like lipsticks, lip balms and anti-acne creams, say experts.
Archana Dhawan Bajaj, Gynecologist and Obstetrician at Nurture IVF Centre and Taruna Dua, Consultant and Gynecologist at Aakash Healthcare, have listed ingredients and products that should be avoided:
* Make-up products like lipstick, lip-gloss, lip balms, eyeliners, mascaras, deodorants, foundation, nail polish, body oil, talcum powder, hair removal products and hair dyes can cause a number of mishaps.
This includes miscarriage, infertility, delayed puberty, hormonal imbalance, damage the endocrine, premature delivery, endometriosis (a uterus condition causing severe pain in pelvic region), hormonal imbalance, birth defects, neurological damage to the child, ovarian cancer and skin allergies.
* The worst among all is usage of acne cosmetic products like creams and gels.
Acne creams have retinoids which cause miscarriages and abnormal fetal brain development. Staying away from any sort of acne product during pregnancy is a must.
* Triclosan and Triclocarban are used as antimicrobial agents in personal care products, such as soaps. These ingredients can cause issues in your body.
* Parabens are a type of preservative, present in soaps, shampoos and conditioners which are used to prevent the growth of bacteria. But too much of it can have an impact on fertility.
* Formaldehyde, and a range of other volatile organic compounds which are ingredients in nail polish can cause birth defects and harm fertility.
* Toluene is a commonly used solvent to get glossy finish on the nails. It affects the central nervous system and causes reproductive harm.
* Phthalates is the most common chemical found in almost every cosmetic product. It disrupts the hormone levels, affect fertility and build up in breast milk.
* Oxybenzone (benzophenone), octinoxate, and homosalate are found in many sunscreens, lip balms, and other products with SPF. They cause endometriosis and can pose a risk to reproductive systems.