1 kg Lamb ribs(with the fat on them)
a large stock pot of boiling water
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 cup Fresh, thick yogurt
Ghee for frying
Salt to taste
A pinch of asafoetida
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp Ginger powder(saunth)
1 tsp Fennel seeds(saunf)
2 Cinnamon sticks(dalchini)
2 Green Cardamom(choti elaichi)
4 Black Cardamom(moti elaichi)
2 cups Milk
Silver varq for garnishing if desired
1. Immerse the ribs in the stock pot of boiling water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and wash well under running water.
2. In another pot bring the Milk to a boil with 1 cup of water, add in the spices- cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, ginger, garam masala, bay leaves, asafoetida and salt.
3. Add in the ribs.Simmer over low heat till meat is cooked and the Milk is absorbed.
4. Alternatively you can cook the meat in the pressure cooker for a couple of whistles, release pressure and cook over low heat till Milk dries up.
5. Remove the cooked mutton ribs and drain well.
6. In a large bowl combine the curd, red chilli powder and a little salt. Whip till smooth.
7. Heat ghee in a heavy pan. Dip the ribs individually in the curd-chilli mixture and fry over medium heat till golden brown.
8. Garnish with varq and serve immediately as the fatty part of the ribs tastes best when hot.